Many companies claim a safety-first culture, but focusing on safety grows increasingly challenging when faced with regulatory complexities, staffing shortages, and budgetary pressures.
In 2020, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported 2.7 million work injuries and illnesses and 4,764 workplace fatalities.
Innovative companies are turning to experts to manage their safety obligations effectively. This article outlines seven reasons a safety consulting service can be a strategic asset for your company.
- Safety Performance Improvement: Safety consultants bring a wealth of expertise and knowledge about workplace safety that significantly improves the overall safety performance of your company. They provide training and education on best practices that reduce the risk of accidents and injuries. OSHA data reveals that worker injuries and illnesses have decreased from 10.9 incidents per 100 workers in 1972 to 2.7 per 100 in 2020, suggesting that workplace safety initiatives have a measurable positive impact.
- Risk Assessment and Emergency Preparedness: Safety consulting services conduct comprehensive risk assessments to identify potential hazards in your workplace. They evaluate everything from operating procedures to equipment use, pinpointing areas of concern. Safety consultants also assist in developing emergency response plans that are crucial in industries like energy and oil & gas, where incidents can have significant human and environmental impacts.
- Regulatory Compliance: With constantly changing safety regulations, it’s essential to have a dedicated team that ensures compliance. Safety consultants stay updated on all relevant local, state, and federal regulations so they can guide you through meeting these standards.
- Cost Savings: Preventing accidents reduces costly medical expenses, legal fees, and insurance premiums. Safety consulting services save companies significant money by avoiding the direct and indirect expenses associated with injuries and fatalities. In 2013, The National Safety Council estimated that each prevented lost-time injury saves a company $37,000, and each avoided fatality saves $1.4 million.
- Customized Safety Policies and Procedures: Not all businesses face the same safety concerns. Consulting services help tailor customized safety policies and procedures that suit your company’s specific needs. In manufacturing, this might involve creating procedures for safely operating heavy machinery or handling hazardous materials. Energy and oil & gas companies have their own unique concerns, such as exposure to toxic gases or confined spaces.
- Reduced Liability: Working with a safety consultant demonstrates your company’s commitment to safety, potentially decreasing liability in case of accidents or legal issues. Quality safety consulting services also share the liability of your safety programs by taking responsibility for your safety function.
- Increased Productivity: Through reduced absenteeism and improved morale, a safe work environment fosters healthier, happier, more productive employees because they trust leadership’s commitment to their health and safety.
Internal safety managers have important institutional knowledge, such as the organization’s specific processes, culture, and challenges, which can be beneficial when designing safety programs. That said, an experienced safety consulting service delivers these additional benefits. Consultants also provide an impartial and objective assessment of safety practices; they can identify issues that might get overlooked by in-house personnel who are more familiar and engrained with the organization’s operations.
Importantly, employing a safety consulting service lets your business build a strong safety culture that goes beyond meeting regulatory requirements. It demonstrates that you value each team member’s well-being, ensuring every worker feels safe and appreciated.
SITEX provides expert safety consulting services that let you focus on your core business – safely. Complete the form to learn more about how we can help you achieve all seven of these benefits.